Testimonials

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Michael Fryer's 'I saw a man-he danced with his wife'

Six weeks ago I heard the fan to the laptop make funny noises be sluggish. I have an HP envy dv6 and from what I've read this model is notorious for overheating.

Then, one day, I opened the laptop, the laptop was quiet and an error message appeared on the display warning me that over use of a non functioning fan might lead to many problems. I shut it down and for 6 weeks the computer has been absent from life.


Michael Fryer-Navy Pier, summer 1989
I saw a man-he danced with his wife

Yes ... I called the HP parts department and they sent me something or other that had nothing to do with the fan, even though I was informed they were correct. Eventually, my problem was handed over to a creative case worker who assured me that the recommended part recommended would work with my model.

You see, I had the laptop custom made from top to bottom and paid a handsome sum to get ALL the features I required for photo processing.

Now ... what makes my problem really REALLY bad is that my laptop is American born and I'm now in Spain and this particular part was not available here. Hewlett-Packard mailed the package to a United States address and then a family member sent the part to Spain.

 

 Chicago Tribune Magazine, August 27, 1997

Another dilemma. For the past 3 years, packages sent to Spain have been getting stuck in Madrid's customs department and many have waited from 6 months to a year to get their parcels released. So, this time I made certain there was an accurate description of the package written in both English and Spanish.

Meanwhile, I scouted around and got someone in Barcelona to replace the fan. On Friday the 13th of February, within 3 hours of the drop off, my fan was home, snoring ever so quietly.

Whew! I was and still am elated and NOT griping against HP.

But. I plea to YOU!!

While I waited and waited to get my computer resolved, I had access to an outdated computer with a Spanish keyboard.  I took the opportunity to sift through old print, scanned and dslr photos.

What I show you here is a photo from the August 27, 1997 edition of the Chicago Tribune Magazine taken at Navy Pier in Chicago by Michael Fryer in 1989. I've googled Michael Fryer, wrote someone named Michael Fryer and received no response.

You see, the magazine photo is worn, the colors have faded and the paper fragile.

I saved this magazine, because for me, the picture made me happy (still does) and Fryer's photographic style has influenced me a whole lot.

And, I would love to know who couple is and where are they now.

If anyone out there knows Michael Fryer, can you please let him know of this post.

I would be ever so grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment