Testimonials

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Please Help Me

There's been a significant increase in the last 2 1/2 years of young women begging money for food in Barcelona.

I feel conflict when I see them. I have an innate desire to help anyone but the skeptic inside of me stops me from doing so. I guess maybe it's because many of them, men as well as women, just don't seem that 'needy'. Of course, appearances can be deceiving and I can be wrong.

DSC_2534_ps


This photo reminds me of another story.

About 3 years ago, while taking our evening walk, we can upon an elderly woman of 76 years old, preparing her bed on the sidewalk adjacent to a bank. It was a winters night and cold like ice.

Anyway, we stopped to speak. Her face reminded me of an older Mary Pickford, so sweet and delicate.

She lost her home and belongings a few days before we met. She had no idea about her tomorrows but for that night she was trying to find a warm place, a safe place, a quiet place.

Unfortunately for her, we had no money on us but the next night with food in our hands we went back to her spot, searched everywhere ... well, we never saw her again.

And to this day, we look and think of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment