Testimonials

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Cat and mouse

Stefan watched me take pictures of the street vendors who sell purses.

He grinned as he saw them waving their fingers at me in that no-no way and shaking their heads in protest. There was no doubt what they were telling me; they just didn’t want their photos taken.

But, why not write and show you a photo.

Street vendors
Click on photo ... best viewed large
Barcelona, 2007

These squirrelly vendors are important to Barcelona as the tourist, locals, architecture, homeless and the every day clever and experienced pickpocketeer.

Prices are reasonable and the best part is that you don’t have to hang around to be waited on.

Their eyes are on YOU and simultaneously on the conscientious police who for some reason just don’t leave these guys alone. Tsk! Tsk!

Might be ‘cause they don’t have a seller’s license (who knows) or Barcelona doesn’t collect its sales tax, which is a whopping 16% of the base price.

They are thoroughly prepared with their wares on the street settled beautifully on what might appear a tablecloth with long strings connected to the material. With one pull, all the products you’ve seen are neatly bundled. Santa Claus would be proud.

So, if you happen to be buying a product from them, don’t be surprised if they scurry faster than a speeding bullet in all directions.

Most probably, they saw the diligent, capable, friendly and reliable police of this fair city.

Be delighted. If that happens, you have witnessed the friendly start of the cat and mouse game.

Enjoy!!

 A Candid View of Everyday People View barcalunacy's A Candid View of Everyday People FLCKR photoset.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

7 comments:

  1. hi, i visit your blog often and i enjoy your pics, but today o have to say i disagree with you publishing this picture. I know what it´s like to be an illegal immigrant and to feel the police persecution every day. Of course they didnt want you taking photos! They dont know you and they dont know what you are going to do with them. Anyway, i just wanted to leave my opinion, hope you dont get it wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chili,

    I don't want to cause anyone harm and I believe my photo will not do that.

    If I did, I would not have published it.

    I truly appreciate your sincerity and insight,

    And,

    I will give much thought to what you wrote.

    Also, thank you for be a frequent visitor.

    Regards,
    Luna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chili,

    After considerable thought, I have elected to modify the picture.

    I have no problem doing this, as the current picture still conveys the objective of the post.

    Thank you for your time and interest.

    Regards,
    Luna

    ReplyDelete
  4. i know you dont want to cause any harm to anybody, i was just talking from his point of view.

    saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I only saw the modified version. This looks completely anonymous, so I don't see what problem there could be. But I had some of the offical vendors on the Ramblas waving me away, and their stands were certainly legal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:49 AM

    Gostei muito desse post e seu blog é muito interessante, vou passar por aqui sempre =) Depois dá uma passada lá no meu site, que é sobre o CresceNet, espero que goste. O endereço dele é http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . Um abraço.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I visited Barcelona once. It is amazing and magic city with its own atmosphere and dominating of Gaudi's masterpieces. I liked that city has a very good infrastructure and nice service and also that many of hotels in Barcelona situated in historical center or close to awesome beaches. And interesting thing that there are two official languages spoken in Barcelona: Catalan, generally spoken in all of Catalonia, and Castillian Spanish.
    I really enjoyed this great city.

    ReplyDelete