Testimonials

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Too blue eyes

He came to Barcelona about 3 weeks ago.

It was he, Stefan, from a little German town somewhere between Stuttgart and Tübingen.

And,

Was now sitting in a squatting position on a sidewalk adjacent to a famous street called Passeig de Gràcia.

Stefan
Barcelona, 2007

He was hoping to collect some coins here and there because like me, he became a statistic. I wrote about my plight in a post called “Grant me a wish.

Someone had stolen his identification papers and money.

Without money, he couldn’t get his passport. Without identification papers he couldn’t prove who he was.

However, in three more weeks, more or less, he felt certain he would be back to his beloved Germany and working as an emergency nurse and counseling drug addicts.

I was intrigued and felt sorry for his problem but all the while, I couldn’t keep my brown eyes off his blues.

Would you be able to?

I have a tip for anyone coming to Barcelona from the United States; first and foremost, take a time-out, go to your consulate and register your passport.

You won’t be sorry.

Enjoy!

 People of Interest View Stefan and others in barcalunacy's People of Interest FLCKR photoset.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:04 PM

    His blue eyes are so blue, that you might be willing to trust him, just on his blue eyes!

    However that sad story about ID´s and lost money can impossibly be true:
    - you don´t have to pay for a lost passport > any German consulate (their is one in BCN) will be able to provide any German citizen with a ´laisses-passer´, free of charges, instead of a passport.
    - the Germans know already for over 67 years how to identify their citizens. So no need for him to prove anything. The consulate can and will do it for him.

    But yes, his way of begging sure seems to be quite original.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:45 AM

    I second what Paul said. Most European countries have working systems for incidents like that so I am confident that Stefan with the blue eyes was trying to combine a much better climate with some easy (tourist) money.

    Coincidentally I met an old Swedish dude at Las Ramblas who was giving me the same story. In his case he had been trying to get back home for some 5 years...yeah right!

    Barcelona is the pick-pocket city of the world though! Most ignorant set of police force too (the ones driving their motorcycles along the beach focusing on top-less babes instead of thieving a-holes).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul and Thomas,

    I guess you both are better judges of human behavior than me.

    I thought long and hard to what both of you wrote and I have taken your comments to heart and I am more careful.

    Thanks for the comments and look see.

    luna

    ReplyDelete