Testimonials

Saturday, November 11, 2006

What I See and What I’ve Learned

A day in the life of a street artist.

The very first time I walked down La Rambla over 4 years ago, I, like many others was wonderfully entertained by Barcelona’s street performers and am still entertained to this day by some.

Yesterday was my first day on las Ramblas after 2 weeks of being gone. As I mentioned in a previous post, I was out of the country visiting family and I was very anxious to see some of the artists whom I’ve grown to like.

My most very favorite is the Charlie Chaplin character … Charlot, as the character is known in Catalunya. I wanted to see how he was doing, for you see, he is a sweet and mild mannered gentleman.

No tourists were by him or near him so we had a few minutes to speak with him.

A little while later, a big, burly guy with a loud mouth and a British accent came by. He did say hello. He did ask to take his picture with Charlot and so the picture was taken.


Hurly Burly Guy

Barcelona, 2006

I watched. I watched Charlot look and smile. He was in character and would have made the real Charlie Chaplin proud.



The big, burly British guy then asked his other companions to join him. They agreed and all surrounded my favorite guy.

Click.

Click.

Click.

They laughed and joked, having what seemed a wonderful moment.

Much to my very surprise, they left and no “Chi-ching” of the register did I neither see nor hear fall into Charlie’s tray.

Charlie looked at me; I looked at Charlie, my heart breaking.

You see, Charlie was sick that day and could barely speak. But they were on vacation and who could fault them for not paying attention to a little old man.

But really! What would be the big deal on their part to have helped out? After all, Charlie provided them with a service and more important a smile.

Now, truth be told.

I’ve been guilty of the same thing. Sneak a photo here and there and thinking how lucky I was to “get that unnoticed” shot and walk away like a kid just lifting a lollipop from a candy store.

But the past many weeks as we’ve talked, watched and photographed the street artists, we have been honored by them sharing their lives with us.

The money they spend to purchase theatrical make-up and fancy costumes. They stand still for hours on cold, hot and rainy days.

They wait for us.

Now granted we’ve had the chance to speak with them. You haven’t. We don’t ask that you do.

We ask that if you’ve enjoyed, just give $oney, even if a little. You know SOMETHING is better than NOTHING.

Maybe you can THINK about it.

Thanks.

Aside Comment: Today I have no interest in how good my photos of the British tourists are or are not. I HOPE they see this.

I just wanted to share my feelings with you on behalf of the Barcelona artists.

You take it from there.

 Barcelona’s Street Artists View more of the street artists in barcalunacy's Barcelona’s Street Artists FLCKR photoset.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:54 AM

    Hola Luna, mi nombre es Jose Maria y te escribo desde una emisora de radio. Me gustaria que te pusieras en contacto conmigo por correo electrónico para proponorte una cosa. Mi dirección es jmsarri@hotmail.com

    Escribeme y te podré contestar y explicarte lo que estamos buscando. Gracias.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:01 PM

    Congratulations for the best blog about BCN diary.

    From the modest point of view of www.jugantambbarcelona.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:46 PM

    Hello again from Òliba Xafardera,
    Thank very much for your best
    wishes, that´s encoureging!
    We are the ones who are grateful for your love to our city and your great sensibility.
    You´re right, it takes a great deal of time.
    Good luck,
    Òliba Xafardera

    ReplyDelete