Testimonials

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Too Simple

One thing I love about Barcelona at Christmas is how the city underplays the holiday.

There’s nothing overdone in the stores and you never hear Jingle Bell Rock more than 100,000 times before November 1st.

Lighting is kept at a minimum and thank goodness I don’t see those drive-you-crazy, flashing, blinking lights that we have in the United States!

So, for me, walking on the Gran de Gràcia yesterday, it was a treat to see this majestic tree, alone, dressed in red and not camouflaged in layers of Christmas jewelry.



I was rapt by its startling quality of simplicity.

Its mere presence made me and others stop. I gazed, I enjoyed and I questioned.

Why was this tree gift wrapped?

I realized the gift was for me.

Bon Nadal!

It had made me smile and that was enough.

 Barcelona’s Special Days View photos of of Christmas in Catalonia in barcalunacy's Barcelona’s Special Days FLCKR photoset.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

No comments:

Post a Comment