Testimonials

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

His Eyes Make Me Whys

Continuing series dedicated to the street artists of Barcelona and this one is no exception.

Over the few years, I have seen some of La Rambla’s street artists come and go.

I’ve liked many for their fun, artistry, creativity and good humor. And others? Oh well, you fill in the blanks.

On this particular day, after passing the popular artists, I came across this hombre.
j
He was sitting there, rather regal, alone, and reading a black, wordless book.



He was not pleased that we were taking pictures of him at first but our attentiveness, kindness and politeness won him over.

His name is Claudio and the character he portrays is Miguel de Unamuno.

He told us conspiracy stories like when the Lliceu theatre burned down and the how’s and why’s to the fire.

He reminisced of this famous street’s changes and how new rules and regulations in the near future will continue to transform this famous street.

Anyway, as he spoke, I was able to take many, MANY pictures but the more I photographed him the more curioser and CURIOUSER I became of what was behind those dark, mysterious glasses.

So I asked him if he would be so kind to show me his eyes. He did.


His Eyes Make Me Whys
La Rambla, Barcelona, 2006

POW!! His eyes made me wonder and ask myself about the “what”, “when”, where”, “how” and “whys” of his life, and what I could learn.

A few days later I went back to La Rambla to ask him more questions and much to my disappointment, he was not there.

Oh, well, another day.

As I look back to that day and write this noticia, I felt for just a brief moment, that when our eyes met, I held his soul.

P.S. I would like to say that I rarely do touch ups of my photos. Heaven knows I probably should, but I do crop, lighten and burn when necessary and for me, these photos are a novice photographer’s dream. The pictures are the camera’s reality taken through my eyes.

I invite you to click the link below for additional photos on Miguel and other artists on FLICKR.

 Barcelona’s Street Artists View barcalunacy's Barcelona’s Street Artists FLCKR photoset.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

2 comments:

  1. Just stumbled across your pictures of the artist portraying Unamuno...lovely! Thanks so much for sharing and making them available under the license.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by and posting your nice comment.

    ReplyDelete