Testimonials

Thursday, October 12, 2006

A Holiday with a Twist

Today's Columbus Day in the United States, celebrating Christopher Columbus’ arrival to the Americas.

It is also a holiday in España.

This morning I took my daily walk in the barrio (neighborhood) where everything - and I mean EVERYTHING - is closed, with the exception, of course, of cafés and restaurants.

I stopped by the local kiosk to ask what holiday we were celebrating and if there were any festas in the plaças so that I might take pictures.

Xavi, the kiosquero, explained that today Spain also celebrates Columbus’ arrival to the Americas and that no festivities are scheduled as this is a Spanish holiday.

Hmm, I thought. Businesses closed, schools closed, banks closed and no celebration. I couldn’t figure it out!

So I asked again, just to be sure, and he repeated: “No celebration here. This is a Spanish holiday.”

As I walked away, perplexed, a rush of embarrassment overcame me.

So, I began thinking. Columbus’ voyage to the New World was financed by King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella, Spain’s royals at that time.

Hmm. Catalunya has a strong wish, burning desire and a great want to be independent of Spain.

Catalonians have written, demonstrated and voted their aspiration to be autonomous. They are first and foremost, Catalans and not Spanish.



Oh my! I should have known better: Spain is different.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

No comments:

Post a Comment