Testimonials

Monday, September 22, 2008

A Dream Come True

On the day prior to my taking this photo, my camera and I were on disagreeable terms.

My Nikon refused to focus where I wanted. It put shadows where it sought. I kept tweaking over and over, as many of you who follow my blog know and I was about to put it on a time-out.

Even people and places of interest were not interesting, until we found ourselves at la plaça de Pi.

The sun was magic, uplifting my spirits and making a promise to me of better minutes at hand.

A Dream Come True

Juan de Pi
Barcelona, 2008

I listened and watched and discovered Juan.

He was sitting on a step, watching and smiling at me and having a good time with another attention-grabbing fellow.

He called me over and told me not to be scared. See, he knew I wanted his photo.

And, I clicked my accommodating camera that appreciated my nervous and exciting energy and it too knew that this was a special man.

Los Manos de José de Pi
Barcelona, 2008

We exchanged good-byes and I went about my business, but I couldn’t escape leaving the plaça de Pi.

A little while later, Juan called me and showed me a magic trick. He was feeling good and important that I had no idea how the card trick was a trick. But I knew.

His hands were fun and fascinating and I have a penchant for hands of the older genre.

Yes! He was a photographer’s dream come true.

I got my many pictures, one better than the next, and he made a friend.

5 comments:

  1. Used wrinkled skin is far more interesting to photograph than the supposed smoothness of so-called models.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:06 PM

    IMPRESIONAN AQUESTA FTG.DE LAS MANS. AMB EL TEU "CLIK" TOTA UNA VIDA, MIL HISTORIES, CENT CAIGUDAS. JUGANT AMB B........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hyde
    I couldn't agree with you more.

    My grandmother wore her wrinkles proud and I got the same impression of this "young" man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gran retrato el que le has realizado al señor, un rostro tocado por el paso del tiempo que tu bien has sabido aprobechar con tu camara, buen trabajo.

    Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marc

    I am so glad that you feel I captured Juan's passage of time in the photo.

    I am very pleased that you liked it and commented.

    ReplyDelete