Testimonials

Friday, September 12, 2008

La Senyera

I mentioned in my previous post, I would take photos that would show how Catalunya was celebrating la Diada Nacional de Catalunya.

I was excited to gallivant anywhere in Barcelona for the day was sunny and just a slight tad to annoyance, humid.

I forged ahead and ahead and ahead, perspiring in a way that would make a truck driver proud.

La Senyera

Plaça de la Revolución
Barcelona, 2008

The town was eerily dead, silent and comatose. Not a political rally, nor music nor any other festivity to be seen or heard; just as if Garcia’s citizens had been sucked up by a powerful vacuum.

What the heck happened? Somewhere in this beautiful city, memorial services were held and I totally missed the WHOLE affair!!

La Senyera

Plaça de Rius y Taulet
Barcelona, 2008

I made an executive decision consisting of one to take photos of la Senyera, (the Catalan flag) with its 4 red bars on a yellow background.

Legend says that the 4 red bars represent the bloody fingers of a dying Catalan patriot as he scratched the earth. Actually, the colors represent the coat of arms from the king of Aragon.

La Senyera has such a colorful history that you might want to check out Wiki or some other source for I couldn't write about the flag any better than what I've read.

I roamed through the 5 major plaças in the heart of Gràcia and some side streets.

You might be interested to see the plaças you have read about and for those who've moved away maybe a bit of nostalgia.

Enjoy!!

 La Diada Nacional de Catalunya, 2008 View barcalunacy's La Diada Nacional de Catalunya, 2008 FLCKR photoset.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:49 PM

    GRACIES PER OMPLIR EL TEU BLOC,AMB LA NOSTRE DIADA. I GRACIES PER COMPARTIR LA TEVA VIDA AMB NOSALTRES. JUGANT AMB BC.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the relaxed atmosphere you show on these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. anonymous

    Gracias por su commentario and for all the kind things you have written through the past many months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. eki

    Your word "relaxed" is a good one.

    I thought I would see some excitement as I wrote in the post,and a puppy taking a siesta would have been more exciting if I could have found one.

    ReplyDelete