Testimonials

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder

When I was a child, my mother used to say that the uglier an object was “leave it up to you to like and buy it”.

You see, then I was very much into African art, before it became fashionable to own, and so I would buy a piece here and there with what little money I had. Needless to say, my selections did not fit the conservative lifestyle of my family.

But, today, I am glad to say my tastes have changed. They have gone from the unusual, outlandish, and flamboyant to peacockish, gaudy and outrageous, enough to make my mother go from wincing to vomiting.

Memo: So, I guess my mom was right and mothers are ALWAYS right you know.

Then, you can imagine how delighted I was to see the “ART” on the roof of this building. The first time I saw the sculptor it was really a shock.


Fundació Antoni Tàpies
Barcelona, 2006

The building is called Fundació Antoni Tàpies.

Through the magic of imagination, I pictured the twisted wire as looking like Edward Scissorhand’s hair or Eduardo Manos Tijeras as he is known in Barcelona.


Fundació Antoni Tàpies
Barcelona, 2006

I must be the only person who likes what is on the roof and it makes me smile. I’ve talked with many people who think it’s the ugliest thing they ever seen.


Fundació Antoni Tàpies
Barcelona, 2006

Beauty, indeed, is in the eye of the beholder.
 Buildings of Interest View "Just a building" in barcalunacy's Buildings of Interest FLCKR photoset.

No comments:

Post a Comment