Testimonials

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Boy settles into astrolabi statue possibly for an impossibly-long stay

He was the picture of contentment, peace and well-being in the first-class-only cocoon.

He’d clearly won the right (maybe after the fervid jawboning and negotiation boys tend to indulge in) to snuggle into the statue known as the “astrolabi” on la Plaça del Sol, in the barrio de Gràcia of Barcelona.

I watched the young boy climb up onto and finally settle down into his selected spot.


la Plaça del Sol
Barcelona, 2006

I saw a scoop of ice cream fall off his ice cream cone.

I saw him, in the style of little boys; stuff the lost, plopped-on-the-ground bit straight into his mouth.

I saw him stare with bewildered shock, indignation and intensity as some melty ice cream dripped and dribbled unstoppably down his arm.

Boy, what a boy!

I don’t think the young lad knew the significance of the monument he was sitting on; it was designed by Joaquim Camps and represents a sun dial with the twelve signs of the zodiac.

Now, I wanted to give you a link that would have told you better about the design. But, unfortunately, the link I liked is currently unavailable so I will tell you one thing I remember reading.

All the zodiac signs but three are the same size. One of the remaining three symbols is the largest of all, representing the designer’s own sign.

There, in a nutshell, you have it!

 A Candid View of Everyday People View barcalunacy's A Candid View of Everyday People FLCKR photoset.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

No comments:

Post a Comment