Testimonials

Thursday, August 07, 2008

Grandma! I miss you

A long time ago, I met a step uncle, now dead, whose hobby was photography.

I wish now I had paid attention when he explained the f-stop and such, but then photography for me was an expensive hobby and I couldn’t put into action what he taught me, then. How depressing.

Barcelona, 2008

He went to many places in the world, shooting role after role, as if he had a memory card. Gosh, he would go nuts, today!

One day he gave me a gift, a photo, framed that is still hung in my home.

It was a picture of a simple Mexican woman, squatting on a cold, stone floor, cooking.

In that 1/30 of a second, he captured her thin frame, chiseled face and multi-colored dress

But,

The tanned, veined hands caught my eyes.

Something felt familiar and my throat lumped.

I missed grandma.

P.S. The photo is of an 88 year old woman I saw sitting in a plaza I will not name. There were pigeons and I mean a googolplex amount of pigeons on and around her.

She let me get this close, so out of consideration, I will not show her face.

2 comments:

  1. How cute! Those doves look so friendly and unafraid of human beings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eki,

    They are tame IF you have food in your hands.

    I think the birds are this old lady's companions and children.

    They certainly were comfortable with her as you can see.

    ReplyDelete